43 – Trends (Unit 1)

Write a short paragraph answering ONE of the following questions (50 words):

1. What do you like about social networking sites like Facebook? What do you not like about them?
      • Ex. I really how social networking sites make it easy to stay in touch with my friends, but I also think they can make me lazy about seeing them. I remember when I was 19, I would chat online with one of my old friends — sometimes for more than two hours each day. The problem is she lived only about 20 minutes away from me. Instead of chatting online, we could have spent that same time having lunch or coffee together. And she was pretty!
    2. Is it important that you like what your peers like? Is there something you enjoy that is not very popular?
      • Ex. Trying to be different can make you miss out on good things in life. When I was a teenager, my friends and I listened to punk rock bands like Bad Religion and NOFX while “everyone else” listened to bands like Nirvana, Pearl Jam, and Soundgarden. My friends and I didn’t like those other bands because they were too popular, everyone else was listening to them. Now that I’m older and have listened to those bands again, I realize that I was stupid to not give them a chance. Their music was also really good. I was just too immature and stubborn to appreciate it.
    3. Think about something that is or was popular.  Why do you think it became popular?
      • Ex. This a trend I’ve only read about, but it is the one Hong Kong actor Chow Yun-Fat started after appearing in the successful John Woo movie, A Better Tomorrow. A handsome and emotional actor wearing Alain Delon sunglasses, Chow played his character like a really cool guy. Apparently, Hong Kong department stores sold out of the sunglasses because so many young men wanted to look like Chow Yun-Fat.
Chow Yun-Fat in A Better Tomorrow

Chow Yun-Fat in A Better Tomorrow

Make sure your paragraph has:

• a clear topic sentence stating your main idea
    • supporting sentences explaining the main idea

Your paragraph is DUE THURS 19 MARCH, 11:59 p.m.
Your reply to your classmate is DUE FRI 20 MARCH, 11:59 p.m.

58 comments for “43 – Trends (Unit 1)

1. Seong-min 43
    18 March 2014 at 10:47

Hi
    Q : Is it important that you like what your friends like?
    A : NO, i don’t care. I think that respect personality is important
    Q : Is there something you enjoy that is not very popular?
    A : When i was 20. i like wearing a training pants becaus it is easy and activity but my friends said it’s looks like a no job person and punk. so i think about that and buy a blue jeans. now i almost wear blue jeans.
    bye.

• Joong-kyu 43
      18 March 2014 at 11:07

Hi. you always wear blue jeans… I always look your blue jeans… but, I boring your fashion styles..
      Please.. change your styles…

• Seong-min 43
        18 March 2014 at 11:19

Thank you. but that’s all right. it’s my styles.

• Seul-gi 43
      18 March 2014 at 19:55

Hi, Seong-min
      training pants is very convenient. I will wear training pants when I become sophomore
      shall we wear training pants?
      Thank you. see you again

• Charles Chun
        19 March 2014 at 18:27

What would you think of teachers who taught class in training pants? Sometimes I eat a big breakfast, so . . .

• Yongchan 43
      18 March 2014 at 23:54

i love training pants it is so comfotable i always wear training pant except at univercity.
      umm… and i am not wear blue jeans cause my leg so thick it is so tight to me

• Charles Chun
      19 March 2014 at 18:24

Seong-min, you must care a little if you switched from training pants to blue jeans. 🙂

2. Joong-kyu 43
    18 March 2014 at 11:03

Q. Is it important that you like what your friends like?
    A. I like soccer. Expecially foreigh soccer. For example, premier league in england, Serie A in italy, Primera Liga in spain. The reason that I started to like Soccer is brought the magazine by my friend. Soccer magazine is very exciting and interesting. since then, I have decided to subcribe for one year. also, I look forward to watching soccer game every weekend.

Q. Is there something you enjoy that is not very popular?
    A. I cheer the soccer team. But, this team is nobody know. This team is low level league team. Team names is GOYANG HI. This team is my hometown. stadium is located in front of my house.

• Seong-min 43
      18 March 2014 at 11:09

I think you carzy about soccer. very intersting. I know 명재 also like soccer very much. Have a nice talk with him. Bye.

• Jun Ha 43
      18 March 2014 at 21:53

I love too soccer. But I dont know foreigh soccer.
      But I know one of foreigh soccerer
      He is Ji Seong Park!!!!

• Young-duk 43
      19 March 2014 at 04:40

Hi Jong-kyu.
      I like soccer too.
      I’m looking at best11 magazine. And I watch soccer all night.
      Nice to meet you.

3. Seul-gi 43
    18 March 2014 at 19:47

Q. What do you like about social networking sites like Facebook? What do you not like about them?
    A. Social networking know news of friends who is not meet. it shares the picture and information and Video. in addition, Social networking spend good time seeing picture and video in free time. However, Depending on Social networking may not be get on well with friends . and There may be an invasion of privacy.

• Charles Chun
      19 March 2014 at 18:30

I had a FB friend who always insulted me online. I don’t know why. After I un-friended him, he sent me a message asking, “Hey, is everything okay? Why did you un-friend me?” Weirdo.

• Ye jin 43
      20 March 2014 at 00:34

I have the same opinion with you. Invasion of privacy is a very big issue.
      So I don’t take advantage of social networking sites

4. Jun Ha 43
    18 March 2014 at 21:48

Q. Is it important that you like what your peers like? Is there something you enjoy that is not very popular?

A. I don’t importent that you like what your peers like. For example most my peers like K-pop, Hip Hop. But I’m love hard rock. Specially Linkin Park Songs is very very love.
    And when I hear hard rock my heart is happy ( anxiety bye bye )

• Charles Chun
      19 March 2014 at 18:32

Yeah, I’m sad that rock music is much less popular than it used to be. Do you like the older Linkin Park albums or the newer ones?

• Jun Ha 43
        23 March 2014 at 12:39

I don’t have Likin Park albums. But I have 정식음원 album (불법 no)

• Eun ji 43
      19 March 2014 at 23:44

hi jun ha!
      wow you like hard rock.
      i want to listen it with you!!

• Si-Eun 43
      21 March 2014 at 11:18

I like Linkin park too. I like rock music except heavy metal. I wonder that you like other singers or not.

5. Yongchan 43
    18 March 2014 at 23:41

Q:Think about something that is or was popular. Why do you think it became popular?
    A: I think that starcraft 1 (CD game which is made by blizzard entertainment) was popular in korea.
    I think the reason is Battle net system that system connect each gamer. thanks to Battlenet, gamers can enjoy the game together,compete each player,share thers map which made by map editer that was given to buyer of the game and enjoy there map together. i think it is very important reason why this game was so famous

• Young-duk 43
      19 March 2014 at 04:32

Youngchan!
      Do you know PGtour?
      I was rangker.
      If time is then let’s playing together.
      Nice to meet you.

• Charles Chun
      19 March 2014 at 18:33

I really admire gamers who take the time to make their own maps. I’m sure many of them design their own games eventually.

6. Young-duk 43
    19 March 2014 at 04:27

Q. Think about something that is or was popular. Why do you think it became popular?
    A. I think that drinking culture was popular in Korea. Because compared other contrys until late in the shops. And average working times are longer than in other countries.
    I don’t think is bad drinking culture. But excessive drinking is not good. Together with the appropriate drinking culture through culture rather than a decadent feel like going out much developed into a great culture.

• Charles Chun
      19 March 2014 at 18:37

You’re right, alcohol is a very important and enjoyable part of culture. Korean drinking culture gets criticized because of their “binge drinking” — trying to get drunk as quickly as possible.

7. Si-Eun 43
    19 March 2014 at 18:55

It isn’t important for me to like something that my peers like. For example, I don’t like K-pop even it is very famous and popular. I really love a band of musicians. There are The Calling, Maroon5, CNBLUE, One Republic, Keane, and more bands that I like. So one of my hobbies is collecting their albums and listening their music.

• Soon-Ju 43
      19 March 2014 at 22:55

I love Maroon5 – payphone.

• Ye-sol 43
      20 March 2014 at 00:23

I love Maroon5, too
      And I like popsong singers who are Rihanna!!

• Soo-Jin 43
      20 March 2014 at 09:14

I love Maroon5 too! I love his song lucky strike:)

8. Soon-Ju 43
    19 March 2014 at 22:50

Q: Think about something that is or was popular. Why do you think it became popular?
    A: Blue jeans were very popular in Sanfrancisco in 1850. Many miners wore blue jeans during working. Because blue jeans are comfortable enough to work. And now we all wear blue jeans because of its fashionable design and various form. Also it’s cheaper than other clothes and all ages, all sexes love wearing blue jeans. Above all, I’m crazing at blue jeans.

• Seung-Ho 43
      19 March 2014 at 23:57

Wow. How did you know all of that information?

9. Jin-sup 43
    19 March 2014 at 23:16

Q)Is it important that you like what your peers like? Is there something you enjoy that is not very popular?
    A)I don’t care my peer’s interest. Because people’s interest is diffrent each person.
    Q)Is there something you enjoy that is not very popular?
    A)Yes. I like japanese music. If people think me odd, I like japanese music.

10. I An 43
    19 March 2014 at 23:24

These days Psy is very popular star. i think that reason is Youtube. World people enjoy it. Psy’s music video is funny so world of people saw that. As a result many people is loving his music and him. He is world star!. He have to thank for Youtube kk!!

• Si-Eun 43
      21 March 2014 at 11:59

I agree with you. I have American friend who like Psy and he is studying Korean language and culture. He could know Psy because of Youtube.

11. Eun ji 43
    19 March 2014 at 23:29

Q.Is it important that you like what your peers like?
    A. I’m important that my peer like. Because i alaways stay with my peers and we share our same interests. When we share same interests, we more close and we have more talking topics.
    Q. Is there something you enjoy that is not very popular?
    A. i don’t have somthing that special things. What i like is universal and popular.

• I An 43
      19 March 2014 at 23:49

What is that you like ? Let’s share it! I want to close with you! kkkk XD

• Su Jeong 43
        21 March 2014 at 11:18

i an!!Heh heh heh you’re mine

12. Ye-sol 43
    19 March 2014 at 23:36

Q.What do you like about social networking sites like Facebook?
    A.I think Facebook is very interesting!And it is very useful
    Because i easily can contact with My friends who is far away
    Q.What do you not like about them?
    During meeting friends,There is problom that they cut off conversaions, because of smartphone

• Eun ji 43
      19 March 2014 at 23:48

hi ye sol!
      I like facebook too
      it is very useful and connect with friends!!!

• Ye eun 43
      20 March 2014 at 23:56

Oh ye sol~
      Facebook is very good
      But it is difficult ㅠㅠ

13. Seung-Ho 43
    19 March 2014 at 23:52

Q:What do you like about social networking sites like Facebook? What do you not like about them?
    A: I think the good part of Facebook is to easy for communication with another friend. But bad part is an attitude of Facebook Pages. They deception Facebook users. Like doesn’t helping a handicapped person, thirsty children. even Jesus.
    A:Something popular used to decide ‘It(The first part)’ is popular before. For example, People remember the first part of movie, Big hit song of singers.

• Sho-hyun 43
      22 March 2014 at 03:19

I remember your kakaotalk profile photo! It is so sad…

14. Ye jin 43
    20 March 2014 at 00:33

Q. What do you like about social networking sites like Facebook?
    A. Social networking sites are easy to see your friend’s information.
    And updated in real time so you can hear the news quickly.
    Get in touch with someone who could not reach. This is because a person can easily find.
    As a group conversation. And a lot of people share one information.
    Q.What do you not like about them?
    A.I think it is an invasion of privacy. For example, if you enter the name of the other Facebook can easily obtain information. Anyone can see my life.

15. Soo-Jin 43
    20 March 2014 at 09:12

A. I don’t think it is that much important but can’t ignor it at all. If my friend and I have interest about different things, it may be boring because we will talk about our each interest that one of us do not.
    And for unpopular thing, I played game named Tartaros but it’s gone now.

16. Dasol 43
    20 March 2014 at 20:32

Q. Is it important that you
    like what your peers like?
    Is there something you
    enjoy that is not very
    popular?

A. it isn’t important. i think that people have their own personailty. i like cartoon movie. i love sailor stars. my friends say “you look like 오타쿠”….
    and i like rock music. Linkinpark,Muse,Panic at the disco and so on…

• Dasol 43
      20 March 2014 at 20:48

they are cool!! i want to go their concert!!ㅎㅎ

17. Ye eun 43
    20 March 2014 at 23:54

Think about something that is or was popular why do you think is became popular?
    : i think because of website chart ranking
    Example naver website shows online popular ranking i always click the chart
    Then i remember “people like its”
    So i am interested to its
    When Something often show people know “it is popural”

18. Sho-hyun 43
    20 March 2014 at 23:59

Usually people think that peers’ like is very important, and so do I. For example, I like wearing ‘Snapback’ very much. Because my high school best friend likes wearing Snapback, and my ex-boyfriend likes, and my sister…and so on. I think I was so low self-esteem person before. But now I changed. I like to play ‘Jembe’. I think it is not very popular. If who want to know how to play jembe or drum!

19. Kyung Min 43
    21 March 2014 at 00:05

A. I think social networking is very convenient to communicate. A contact did not know the news of a friend and funny pictures can be shared. but can be cut off the conversation when we met each other. Also, concerned about the privacy invasion.

• Yu-ri 43
      21 March 2014 at 12:44

Kyungmin! I agree your opinion, but we can conversation in offline.
      Didn’t you? 😀

• Kyung Min43
        21 March 2014 at 20:18

Of course! We talk too much:)

20. Yu-ri 43
    21 March 2014 at 00:34

Q.What do you like about social networking sites like Facebook? What do you not like about them?

A.I Think social net working sites gives me good functions.
    This site can share what am I,what I doing today,
    Especially, I enjoy Facebook reading a funny article or picture.
    My friends openly shows how they feel today, and I try to bring cheer to them through Facebook Nessenger.
    Sometimes, When I enconter unexpected trouble, Getting off my worry, I can take somebody’s advice.
    Really useful this site!
    Sorry for late! Suddenly my computer does not work .ㅜ.ㅜ

• Su Jeong 43
      21 March 2014 at 11:13

yu-ri..i agree your opinion!!
      my computr is terribe..

21. Moon Hong 43
    21 March 2014 at 01:22

A.I think social networking sites give me many information. I can get many information and share many people in social networking sites. And social networking sites can become intimate not familar friends. Then possible group communication and discussion.

22. Su Jeong 43
    21 March 2014 at 11:07

A. I like social networking site.
    because social networking site is easy to communicate.
    social networking site also can share the delight to each other.and sorrow can be up.
    social networking site are too far away from possible contact with a friend!!
    and i can be friends with my favorite celebrities

• Kyung Min43
      21 March 2014 at 20:23

Su Jeong! I agree your opinion:)
      The biggest advantage is that you can point to communicate!!

23. Jin Seok 43
    21 March 2014 at 14:54

I tink like facebook is very useful to me because facebook have a information and power i send a something and sometime ago thats a very famously
    So i think a facebook is very useful

• Dasol 43
      21 March 2014 at 23:21

hi Jin Seok~ i agree to your opinion. i think facebook is good social networking.

24. Hyun-sung 43
    23 March 2014 at 16:06

A. I think that Facebook is good. Because I can’t meet my friend everyday, I am able to contact with all my friend that stay anywhere. So Facebook is very very useful for me! I think that Facebook give aid to you. If i were you,I thanks for Social Website like facebook! Contact with friend,family,etc…
    Anyway My opinion is that! Thanks, see you