Write a short paragraph answering ONE of the following questions (50 words):
- What do you like about social networking sites like Facebook? What do you not like about them?
- Ex. I really how social networking sites make it easy to stay in touch with my friends, but I also think they can make me lazy about seeing them. I remember when I was 19, I would chat online with one of my old friends — sometimes for more than two hours each day. The problem is she lived only about 20 minutes away from me. Instead of chatting online, we could have spent that same time having lunch or coffee together. And she was pretty!
- Is it important that you like what your peers like? Is there something you enjoy that is not very popular?
- Ex. Trying to be different can make you miss out on good things in life. When I was a teenager, my friends and I listened to punk rock bands like Bad Religion and NOFX while “everyone else” listened to bands like Nirvana, Pearl Jam, and Soundgarden. My friends and I didn’t like those other bands because they were too popular, everyone else was listening to them. Now that I’m older and have listened to those bands again, I realize that I was stupid to not give them a chance. Their music was also really good. I was just too immature and stubborn to appreciate it.
- Think about something that is or was popular. Why do you think it became popular?
- Ex. This a trend I’ve only read about, but it is the one Hong Kong actor Chow Yun-Fat started after appearing in the successful John Woo movie, A Better Tomorrow. A handsome and emotional actor wearing Alain Delon sunglasses, Chow played his character like a really cool guy. Apparently, Hong Kong department stores sold out of the sunglasses because so many young men wanted to look like Chow Yun-Fat.
Make sure your paragraph has:
- a clear topic sentence stating your main idea
- supporting sentences explaining the main idea
Your paragraph is DUE THURS 19 MARCH, 11:59 p.m.
Your reply to your classmate is DUE FRI 20 MARCH, 11:59 p.m.