03 – Technology (Unit 4)

Philosophers such as Aristotle and Spinoza have declared that “man is a social animal.” The poet John Donne expressed the same when saying “No man is an island.” These thoughts, combined with our own experiences, make it clear that people need other people. Our best experiences in life have typically been those shared with others.

Just as technology has made fewer people required in a factory, it has also made it easier to have less social contact in our day-to-day lives. Even when we get together, we’re not always sharing the same moment as the comic below satirizes.

Doonesbury by Gary Trudeau, 31 Jan 2011

Doonesbury by Gary Trudeau, 31 Jan 2011

Has technology made it easier or more difficult to have good social experiences with others? Do websites like Facebook or messaging services like Kakao Talk bring us closer together or separate us?

Reply with a paragraph (75 words).

• Have a clear topic sentence.
  • Support your topic sentence with details.

Your paragraph is DUE SUN 4 MAY, 11:59 pm
Your reply to your classmate is DUE MON 5 MAY 11:59 pm

30 comments for “03 – Technology (Unit 4)

1. Ji won 03
    3 May 2014 at 14:22

I think technology makes it easier to have good social expreience with others. We can contact easily with foreigners through the Facebook. So we can expand a clique. And we can conversate each other immediately. Although we are far apart, feel like be together. We are too busy to meet our friends often. So when we meet them sometimes, feel awkward. But now, bacause we contact always through Kakaotalk, we are not awkward. Like this, I think technology makes it easier to have good social experiences.

• So hee 03
      4 May 2014 at 09:27

i don’t use facebook but It is really good thing that we can contact with foreigners. Because, we are little bit hard to make a foreigner friends.

• Miso 03
      4 May 2014 at 12:42

i disagree with you. because i think technology makes we can’t concentrate others.

2. So hee 03
    4 May 2014 at 09:24

I hard to coose one thing. Technology makes it easier that we connect with others. Website like a facebook or kakao talk bring us closer together. Forexample, we can see how they live. Facebook can see easily other people’s lifes. However, technology made more difficult to have good social experiences with others. If I am an outcast, I feel more a sense of alienation. For example, Other friends except for me, make a group katalk and play. So I still can’t coose one thing.

• seung cheol 03
      4 May 2014 at 11:23

you have miss typing
      first sentence coose → choose ^^

3. Miso 03
    4 May 2014 at 12:39

i think technology makes it more difficult to have good experiences with athers. because when we meet friends or others, we have to concentrate to others. but smart phone interrupts that. we use smart phone every places whenever. so it makes it more difficult to have good experiences with athers.

• Ji Hee 03
      4 May 2014 at 18:38

you have to fix a with o in athers !

• SeoungMin 03
      4 May 2014 at 21:40

I agree with your opinion.
      Misdirection is the problem I guess so.

• Seung hyun 03
      5 May 2014 at 11:36

That’s right! So when I meet my friend, don’t use smart phone.

4. seung cheol 03
    4 May 2014 at 12:47

i think technology is connect people more easily! for example when i post about music information on facebook another people (ex. friend, stranger) respond or talk about that so i get to know more music information or artist. or when somebody post their daily life,i respond with LIKE! or some comment so relation is more closely!
    so technology makes people more closely!

• cha yun kyo
      4 May 2014 at 19:36

I agree with your opinion.
      Technology makes people more closely.
      So i think technology is good to people!

5. Ji Hee 03
    4 May 2014 at 18:35

I think technology makes it easier to have good social solidarity with others.
    for example, SNS(Social Networking Service) is major tool to communicate with others.
    we can share our own emotion, happy or sad experiences, and daily life with many friends through it. also, it can connect us with people in other countries.
    so it makes us feel more close each other in one earth.

• SeoungMin 03
      4 May 2014 at 21:39

I agree with your opinion about SNS, but I don’t think that just makes us feel closer.

6. cha yun kyo
    4 May 2014 at 19:22

I think technology makes it easy to connect people.
    We can connect to people easily with technology like kakaotalk or facebook.
    We can talk to each other immediately. technology makes people very closely.
    So i think technology is good to people 🙂

• Hee yeon 03
      4 May 2014 at 20:44

I agree wiht you!
      Technology makes it easy to connect people..

7. Hee yeon 03
    4 May 2014 at 20:42

I think technology makes it easy to connect people.
    I can see other people’s day-to-day through Facebook.
    And I can Know how not exactly close friends live.
    Moreover I was able to find a friend who was transfered to another school through Facebook.
    so I think technology makes it easy to connect people.

• Hyeon-Sun 03
      4 May 2014 at 23:50

Facebook is the most appropriate tool for finding Old friends!

• Eun-a 03
      11 May 2014 at 18:37

I agree with you!!

8. SeoungMin 03
    4 May 2014 at 21:38

Do you know word ‘Digital Dementia’?
    It means that we depend on the machines like PDA or smart phone and others so that
    we can’t remember phone number or can’t calculate easy things.
    Like this, I don’t think technology make people closer.
    I bet we can see view such as touching cell phone instead of talking when you’re
    with your friends. It is sure that development of technology does make us easy to
    connect with people but I don’t think that makes people to get closer.
    It seems that your mind is far away even if your friend is close each other,It’s kind of
    paradox I guess.
    So I think development of technology doesn’t help us to get closer each other.

9. Seung hyun 03
    4 May 2014 at 23:30

I think technology makes it more difficult to have good social experiences with others.
    For example, Technology helps to contact people who is far away but it don’t help people who can often meet friend( or acquaintance) within easy distance.
    Because technology is convenient and fast, actual meeting will be replaced with technology like Facebook or Kakao talk in easy distance and we lose a chance to face contact and sympathize other person.
    So if we are in technology-relationship, technology makes it more difficult to have good social experiences with others.

10. Hyeon-Sun 03
    4 May 2014 at 23:49

In my opinion, technology makes it easier to have good social experiences with others. Especially using SNS system like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or Kakao talk has lots of advantages to making new relationship.
    We can connect to different people from anywhere in the world.
    This gives us the opportunity to know more about their culture, values, custom and tradition.

• Taehoon 03
      5 May 2014 at 05:47

i really like your opinion!
      How we could live without SNS and others.
      WIthouth SNS, we feel lonley and cant join the conversation!
      SNS is good but sometime it can be evil!!

11. Taehoon 03
    5 May 2014 at 05:43

i think technology is connect people more easily.
    it has to be connect easily, because these day everybody use SNS
    you dont have to meet person to person, SNS will help to connect each others, talk, gossip, sharing information, and everything. Also it helps to have new relationship with someone we dont know.
    Maybe in futrue, we might not have to go work because we can work with SNS and other technology.
    In some other view, it is not good thing to happen but it will happen because people cant live without
    technology.

• Kim boae
      5 May 2014 at 19:11

my opinion is a little different to your opinion.
      But also your opinion is good. 🙂

12. Kim boae
    5 May 2014 at 19:01

I think technology make it more difficult to have good social experiences with other.
    Nowadays at any meeting, people concentrates in smartphone instead of talk to each other.
    Therefore the better technology, more damaged relationships.

13. Hye In 03
    7 May 2014 at 00:42

I think technology is more and more developed these days.so we can use many technology easily.
    Facebook,twitter is a example. but I think it make people more distant.
    When we meet freinds or family, we use smartphone or tablet PC. they don’t talk in front of people.
    Moreover it can interupt our comunication.

14. Eun-a 03
    11 May 2014 at 18:36

I think technology makes it easily to have good social experiences with others. Most people use kakaotalk,twitter,sns system. By using these system,we can share information and make friends. We can make even foreigner friends. These technology also make us more global.

• Jun Ha 03
      16 May 2014 at 14:03

Yeah, more global is fantastic point I think.

15. Jun Ha 03
    16 May 2014 at 14:02

technology made it more difficult to have good social experiences with others. high technology help us better communication chance, overseas conversation experience, but It is just to look as small view. internet communication is fake. It is very famous point that we don’t necessity talking about it.
    correctly, technology made it more easier is right. young people make more social experiences through e-communicaton. even if it is fake communication. well, probably It is part of communication. however a lot of people who are old and don’t use internet people are ostracized. It is important social problem.