Please complete the following before our next class:
Pg. 180 – Exercise C
Pg. 180-1 – Reading 1 Vocabulary
Pg. 183-4 – Read “How a Ugandan Girl Got an Education”
Pg. 184-5 – Main Ideas and Details
Also, prepare to answer the following discussion questions in class:
- Have you ever given money to help someone or an organization? Why? How did it make you feel?
- What kinds of organizations ask for money? How is the money used?
- What do you think this saying means? Do you agree with it?
Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
Questions to guide your reading: How a Ugandan Girl Got an Education
- Who is Beatrice Biira? How was she able to accomplish what she did?
- How did Beatrice grow up?
- What happened to Beatrice’s family in 1993?
- What is Heifer and what do they do?
- How did Beatrice’s family get involved with Heifer?
- What did Beatrice’s family name the goat? Why?
- How did the goat help Beatrice?
- How did Beatrice do in school?
- How did Beatrice’s children’s book come about?
- What happened to the children’s book?
- How did the success of Beatrice’s Goat help Beatrice herself?
- Did Beatrice have an easy time adjusting?
- Where did Beatrice decide to attend college and what did she plan to study?
- What are her plans for the future?