Please complete the following before our next class:
Pg. 204 – Exercises C and D
Pg. 205 – Reading 1 Vocabulary
Pg. 206-7 – Read “2b or not 2b”
Pg. 208-9 – Main Ideas and Details
Also, prepare to answer the following discussion questions in class:
- Which social networking sites (like Facebook, Twitter, Google+, KakaoStory, Cyworld) do you use? Why are some better than others?
- How do you communicate with your family and friends when you’re apart?
- Do you text? Do you use KakaoTalk? Other apps?
- Do you still use your phone for talking?
- What are some common abbreviations you use (in English or Korean) when texting?
- Ex. LOL = Laughing Out Loud
- Ex. ROFL = Rolling On the Floor Laughing
Questions to guide your reading: 2b or not 2b?
- What kinds of names are being given to texting?
- How have people thought of the effect of technology on language?
- What kinds of feelings has texting caused?
- What is different about texting?
- Do people break rules of language randomly when texting?
- How are people who text changing language?
- What is a rebus?
- How long have we been rebuses?
- What shortened words from long ago are commonly used today?
- What is novel (new) about texting today?
- Are there benefits to texting this way?
- What is the effect on literacy?