Unit 4: Food Advertising Tricks

Food stylists help make food look appealing for food companies. Do you think it is deceptive advertising? Explain.

Food stylists make food look for appealing for food companies' advertisements.

Food stylists make food look for appealing for food companies’ advertisements.
Sources: pinterest.com and graphics.com

33 comments for “Unit 4: Food Advertising Tricks

1. TaeHyun09
    28 November 2016 at 13:35

I dont think its deceptive advertising because I dont think its important how it looks. Its good when we get food that looks nice but I think photo can be look better and when its tasty and i can taste all ingredients on the photo, I think is not a big deal. If we complain all this things our life will get too tired.

Teacher
      28 November 2016 at 13:38

How about if the food looks as bad as it did in the Consumer Reports video? Will it still be okay as long as it tastes good?

• TaeHyun09
        28 November 2016 at 13:42

I think i will get disappointed on that food but still I think I will eat often so I dont think its good to say its fake or bad.

• JeongWoo09
      28 November 2016 at 13:38

I agree taste is all that matters.

2. JeongWoo09
    28 November 2016 at 13:36

I do not think that advertising food in a perfect look is deceptive. I believe that if all the ingredients are used, food companies are being honest about foods. Also, in my perspective, advertisements are meant to attract and seduce people to buy things. Therefore, they should put a lot of effort and exaggerate in advertising foods.

• TaeHyun09
      28 November 2016 at 13:39

I do agree with you. Advertising should exaggerate so that people will buy. Advertising is just for showing what ingredients are in food.

Teacher
      28 November 2016 at 13:41

It makes me think about the profile photos people use to attract a future boyfriend or girlfriend. In America, we say your photo should look like you on your best day.

• JeongWoo09
        28 November 2016 at 13:50

Right. In that situation many people edit their pictures and upload pictures like that does not even look like them. However, that is how it works. But I also wonder what is real ‘you’ is on the otherside.

3. YunHyeok09
    28 November 2016 at 13:36

I don’t think it is deceptive. They uses same ingredients and it actually taste similar. Even if picture looks so different with what we get, I understand that they had to make the food to look good. Also they have to make foods quick as they can so it would be hard for them to care about every trivial things.

Teacher
      28 November 2016 at 13:43

I understand making food look as good as the picture may be trivial to some people. But other people might say they are paying a lot of money not just for food to put in our stomachs but for a nice experience, which includes beautiful looking food. What do you think? Aren’t we also paying for good presentation?

• YunHyeok09
        28 November 2016 at 13:51

We are paying for good presentation but I understand if it doesn’t look so bad.

4. JiWon09
    28 November 2016 at 13:37

I think it is deceptive advertising because if the company wants to appeal their foods, they should make food better! The company only concentrates on appealing, not the quality of food. In this situation “appeal” means “trick”.

Teacher
      28 November 2016 at 13:45

This sounds a little like what in America we call “bait-and-switch”. We bring you to the store promising one thing then sell you something else. But we saw in that video it takes hours to make a burger look that good. We don’t want to wait so long for our food, do we?

• Garim09
      28 November 2016 at 13:51

I agree with you! They have to more take care of the food.

• HaeRim09
      28 November 2016 at 13:57

Yes if i know the food is trick. I am so angry…

5. Junho09
    28 November 2016 at 13:41

I think when I order dishes and if they are different from pictures, I will be disappointed. Whenever I order dishes, I want to eat same dishes with pictures. So I think if dishes and pictures are different, that is deceptive advertising.

• TaeHyun09
      28 November 2016 at 13:46

I agree what you said but I think consumer should understand. Or you should pay enough more money to get nice looking food.

• JiWon09
      28 November 2016 at 13:46

I think so too!! We can expect food’s details and informations to see the pictures. But whole things are lie๐Ÿ˜ต

Teacher
        28 November 2016 at 13:52

It sounds like Ji Won has had many bad experiences at restaurants.

Teacher
      28 November 2016 at 13:48

Have you had many experiences where the food looked very different from the picture? So far, I have had pretty good experiences in Korea. Food presentation has generally not been disappointing. The taste has not always been so good, though. ๐Ÿ˜€

• Junho09
        28 November 2016 at 13:59

Some months ago, I was watching TV and I saw pizza advertisement. As soon as I saw, I called to domino and oredered pizza same as advertising. I was expecting but when I took, I was very disappointed because of pizza’s visual. I’m always disappointed at same things but I order pizza whenever I want to eat. Because it is delicious…

• JeongWoo09
      28 November 2016 at 13:53

I think so. But isn’t it the same dish with the picture? I think it just looks different.

• HaeRim09
      28 November 2016 at 13:55

Sometimes I confuse appetizer and main dish.. And I really dissapoint .. I agree with you.

6. JungHo09
    28 November 2016 at 13:42

It is deceptive but I can totally understand.
    If advertisements show bad shape of product, maybe a lot of people won’t open their wallet. Also, this problem will easily solved when we stop indiscreetly consumption.

Teacher
      28 November 2016 at 13:54

That’s true! If we are more selective about where we eat, restaurants that don’t make an effort will close down, leaving only the good restaurants.

7. Garim09
    28 November 2016 at 13:43

My opinion is it is a deceptive advertising. I don’t expect the same visual as they show in the picture, but it has to be at least similar. If it is too different than I saw in the picture, I would think I waste my money. Also, I feel the food tastes better when it looks good.

• YunHyeok09
      28 November 2016 at 13:48

Thats why you love soju, it looks exactly the same every time!

• TaeHyun09
        28 November 2016 at 13:51

Nice comparing

• Garim09
        28 November 2016 at 13:54

Yeah… I think so..๐Ÿ˜„

Teacher
      28 November 2016 at 13:50

I agree food that looks good tastes better! I’ve heard that 70% of what we taste comes through our sense of smell. I wonder how big of a role our sense of sight plays in what we taste.

8. HaeRim09
    28 November 2016 at 13:50

If advertising is excessive, it can be deceptive. So i think it is up to how much food stylists exaggerate. I have experiments about that. When I saw pizza advertisment it looks very beautiful. So i order one immediately. But it was completely deceptive. I was very angry..

Teacher
      28 November 2016 at 13:56

Yes, especially considering pizzas can cost more than 30,000 won! For that kind of money, it had better look really good.

9. HyeJi09
    28 November 2016 at 13:51

I think it is deceptive advertising. Because people think the advertising picture is real image, but actually many foods in picture are inedible. People look forward to eat foods like picture, but they couldn’t get them ever.