Department of Liberal Arts
Tues 13:15-14:35 and Thurs 10:25-11:45
Margot F. Gramer and Colin S. Ward. Q: Skills for Success – Reading and Writing 3
(Oxford University Press, 2010).
20% – Attendance
20% – Participation
5% – Q Online Practice
25% – Quizzes
15% – Final Exam
15% – Final Presentation
- Students must be in their seats at the beginning of class.
- Students who arrive 40 minutes after class has begun will be marked as absent.
- Each absence = minus 2.2%
- Three late arrivals = minus 2.2%
- Ten absences = F
- Class discussion is an important part of this course. Raise your hand and answer questions regularly to get points. Effort is more important than ability.
- Students must post homework assignments and reply to their classmates’ writing on our class website Brain Drain.
- See Brain Drain for assignments and due dates.
- Points will be taken away for late arrivals and late homework.
- Use of Brain Drain requires two logins. Refer to your paper syllabus for login information.
- When you log in to Brain Drain, save your user name and password in your browser.
- Do this only on your personal computer or your mobile device. Do NOT do this on a public computer.
Q Online Practice (5%)
- Students must finish all of the Q Online Practice exercises per unit by the due date in order to receive points for that unit.
- You must score 100% on each exercise. You have as many chances as you need.
- Each unit is 1% of your grade. So, if there are nine exercises in a unit, for example, you must finish all nine to receive 1%. You will receive 0% if you do only eight.
- Each unit is available during the time we review it in class. A unit will no longer be available the morning of that unit’s quiz, so finish your work on time.
- Each unit will end with a quiz focused on vocabulary, grammar, and readings from unit.
- If you are absent on the day of a quiz, you must have your absence excused before you can make up your quiz before our next class. Contact me as soon as possible to make an appointment.
Final Exam (15%)
- Toward the end of the semester, students will take a cumulative exam referring to content from the five units studied.
Final Presentation (15%)
- The end of the semester will be spent working on a final presentation. You must work with a partner and choose a topic based on the units we cover this semester.
|September 2||Discuss syllabus, class rules, grades, pictures
|September 4-18||Unit 6 – Does advertising help or harm us?|
|September 8-10||Chuseok – NO CLASS!|
|September 22||Q Online Practice Unit 6 Due|
|September 23||Unit 6 wrap-up and QUIZ|
|Sept 25-Oct 7||Unit 7 – Why do people take risks?|
|October 9||Hangeul Day – NO CLASS!|
|October 13||Q Online Practice Unit 7 Due|
|October 14||Unit 7 wrap-up and QUIZ|
|October 16-28||Unit 8 – How can we make cities better places to live?|
|October 29||Q Online Practice Unit 8 Due|
|October 30||Unit 8 wrap-up and QUIZ|
|November 4-11||Unit 9 – How can a small amount of money make a big difference?|
|November 12||Q Online Practice Unit 9 Due|
|November 13||Unit 9 wrap-up and QUIZ|
|November 18-25||Unit 10 – Do people communicate better now than in the past?|
|November 26||Q Online Practice Unit 10 Due|
|November 27||Unit 10 wrap-up and QUIZ|
|December 2||Introduction to Final ExamIntroduction to Final Presentations – Choose partners and topics|
|December 4||Final Exam|
|December 9-11||Prepare Final Presentationsp|
|December 16-18||Final Presentations|